This is a joint position for Mahbub-ul-Haq Research Centre (MHRC) and Saida Waheed Gender Initiative (SWGI) at LUMS.
The Mahbub-ul-Haq Research Centre (MHRC) is the flagship Centre for social science research at LUMS. It supports interdisciplinary research, scholarship and teaching on issues of human development, social exclusion and inequality across South Asia. Its vision is to co-construct knowledge on critical challenges with a community of scholars, students, practitioners and social actors to bring about transformative and sustainable change.
The Saida Waheed Gender Initiative (SWGI) promotes interdisciplinary inquiry that is attentive to the construction and operation of gender across different spatial and temporal contexts. The Initiative facilitates such inquiry across the university’s four schools by encouraging research and resource development, supporting pedagogy in the area of gender studies, and hosting events that bring together scholars, students, and members of the broader community.
MHRC and SWGI at LUMS are jointly hiring a Communications Manager to lead communications and outreach activities. Specific responsibilities are described below:
- Develop a communication strategy for MHRC and SWGI jointly in consultation with respective core teams;
- Monitor the success of MHRC and SWGI communication strategies;
- Help oversee MHRC website redesign keeping in view that the website is intuitive, interactive and able to fulfil the Centre’s communication objectives;
- Manage MHRC and SWGI’s digital presence. This will include (i) regularly generating and uploading content on social media (Facebook and Twitter), (ii) maintaining and updating content on the websites, and (iii) using print and online media (e.g. contribution to op-eds) as necessary. MHRC and SWGI’s digital presence should be used to promote their activities, research, partnerships, and engage a wide audience;
- Maintain and regularly update the digital database for the Saida Waheed Gender Initiative;
- Facilitate execution of outreach events (including workshops, dialogues, conferences, seminar series), and help design promotional material for events as required;
- Generate and help develop relevant research communication outputs including infographics, posters, slide-decks, podcasts, videoclips, web-stories, policy notes and briefs, blogs to disseminate research conducted by staff and affiliates. These can be developed in conjunction with students and faculty, and should increase visibility and impact of academic work undertaken by faculty at LUMS, tapping into networks established by the MHRC and SWGI;
- Cultivate relationships with research institutions and partners for communication and outreach purposes (including other Schools/Centres/faculty at LUMS);
- Manage communications with the core teams at MHRC and SWGI, and oversee in-house communications team as required;
Important note: This is not an exhaustive or complete list; other tasks or responsibilities may be assigned, depending on the needs of the offices.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Communications, Media, Marketing, Journalism, Social Sciences, or any related discipline.
- 2-4 years of relevant work experience.
- Experience managing websites and building a digital presence.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and ability to interact and communicate with a range of partners and stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal skills, organizational skills, and attention to detail.
- Proficient in using Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Microsoft Office.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit their CV, names of 3 potential referees and a cover letter to email@example.com; with ‘Communications & Design Lead’ in the subject line of the email
Note: “We are an equal employment opportunity employer”