The Deputy Manager will report to the Provost and Vice Provost, and will be responsible for the overall management of the office’s administrative, cooridnation and communication affairs.
- Support in management of faculty appointment, promotion and tenure (APT) process and other actions affecting faculty, such as sabbatical leave, leave without pay, PhD leave;
- Manage the annual flow of recommendations on behalf of candidates for promotion and tenure, which includes follow-up with the schools to assure that tenure dossiers are complete and that missing pieces are furnished timely in order to comply with the timeline stipulated in the Faculty Handbook;
- Support the team in preparing drafts of the Provost's recommendations on behalf of candidates for initial appointment, reappointment, promotion and tenure for submission to the Vice Chancellor/Management Committee;
- Follow up with appropriate units in the workflow from initiation through HR approval;
- Manage office related administrative work and be a cohesive part of the Vice Chancellor/Provost team. Handling and following up on queries/complaints/requests etc.;
- Maintain an awareness of campus policies, processes and standards and ensure compliance with any Provost Office materials or communication;
- Coordinate and arrange, in consultation with the Provost, various meetings that involve School Deans, Centre Directors, Advisory Committees, Administrative Directors, Department Chairs, faculty and staff. Record, prepare and distribute minutes of all meetings, as needed;
- Under the direction of the Provost and Vice Provost, assist in managing projects and scheduling and assigning work on behalf of the provost to Centre Directors and academic departments, and tracking progress in order to meet deadlines and complete projects;
- Provide administrative support for the Provost's involvement in confidential functions, including grievance and personnel-related matters requiring administrative action of the Provost;
- Management of budget and SAP operations, and ensure compliance with the University and government regulations;
- Prepare operational and strategic reports highlighting the performance and achievements of the office and various centres/initiatives reporting to the Provost’s Office;
- Manage operational and administrative matters of the office including the space management, documentation, and internal and external coordination;
- Manage and execute other projects and activities as assigned by the Provost/Vice Provost from time to time;
This is not an exhaustive list of responsibilities associated with the job. The Provost/Vice Provost may assign additional tasks as deemed necessary.
- Bachelors (Hons) or Masters degree from a reputed local/foreign university
- 3-6 years of relevant administartive and public relations experience in an educational setting or a multi layered organization
Skills & Attributes
- Excellent verbal and written communication and report writing skills;
- Able to work in teams and individually under minimal supervision;
- Savvy on MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook);
- Honed time management and organizational skills (ability to prioritize tasks);
- Strong ability to multi-task;
- Focus on process improvement;
- Thrive under stress;
- Show high level of integrity and confidentiality;
- Ability to work with students and facilitate resolution with maturity and judgment;
- Responsible. Takes ownership
- High commitment level
This is a demanding but exciting role, given the exposure for professional learning and growth. Provost's team is small, and the amount of work we accomplish is significant. Only apply if you are the type of person who takes initiative and responsibility, can do good work with little supervision, have excellent interpersonal skills, strong integrity and the ability to get the job done.
Work hours may extend into the evenings and weekends to accommodate deadlines or events. During the Covid-19 situation, you may be allowed to work from home, which will require you to create a suitable work environment for yourself (internet connectivity, an environment that supports your productivity at home per your own preferences and working style, setting your own work-hours, etc.)
Travel may be required depending on the need of the office.
Please email your CV and a cover letter (which explains your interest in and suitability for the role) to: email@example.com
Note: Please mention "Deputy Manager - Office of the Provost" in the email subject for your application to be considered.
Note: “We are an equal employment opportunity employer”