The new university-wide Office of Academic Advising and Student Success (OAASS) was established in 2020 and its mission is to enhance student experience across LUMS’ five schools. OAASS works closely with school Deans and other departments across campus to ensure that all students are supported in making the most out of their LUMS experience.
OAASS is collaborating with various partners at LUMS, including Office of Student Affairs (OSA), to improve student experience on campus. This will involve a series of strategic initiatives geared towards filling gaps or creating improvements in various domains. The success of such initiatives requires i) extensive research on best-practices around the world; ii) review and understanding of the LUMS context, iii) designing and launching appropriate projects and, iv) continuous monitoring/evaluation to track success. For this, a dedicated resource is required to ensure success for high-impact and long-lasting campus-wide initiatives. This full-time position will be for a 1-year contract that will be renewed depending on the performance of the resource. The position can also lead to full-time roles at LUMS, as strategic projects get established into functioning units and offices.
Research & Project Design:
- Identify needs of the LUMS community to determine potential projects/initiatives.
- Conduct research on global/local best-practices, academic literature, expert-opinion and other sources.
- Tailor ideas to the LUMS-context so that they are relevant, feasible, scalable and sustainable.
- Design initiatives and present proposals to LUMS leadership.
Project Implementation & Operations:
- Once given approval, carry out all preparation required to operationalize and roll-out the projects/initiatives
- Conduct all administrative tasks required for the launch and duration of the projects/initiatives (e.g. hiring, record-management, documentation of processes, coordinating with relevant personnel involved in the project etc.).
- Monitor implementation and progress of projects/initiatives, and troubleshoot issues as they arise.
- Take ownership of assigned projects, i.e. taking initiative in designing and implementing project, being self-directed in setting goals/milestones, making autonomous decisions on an ongoing basis, ensuring that partners deliver on their responsibilities, etc.
- Develop and sustain relationships with internal and external partners relevant to the projects/initiatives.
- Role will also include: support for already existing projects (e.g. being involved with ongoing projects).
- As part of a very small office, you should be willing to participate at all levels of the office’s functioning (from basic administration to policy-setting leadership).
Important note: This is not an exhaustive list as responsibilities will depend on the nature of the projects/initiatives (multiple projects will be designed, implemented and evaluated by the resource).
To be successful in this position, you must have the following skills and qualities: (i) excellent research, writing, and communication skills; (ii) strong collaboration and team-working skills; (iii) superb professionalism (meeting deadlines, diligent work-ethic, delivering high-quality output, etc.); and (iv) ability to learn and grow (identifying strengths/weaknesses, openness to feedback, working on short- and long-term skill development in growth-areas, etc.) Ideal candidates will further demonstrate (v) leadership and entrepreneurial skills (initiative-taking, multi-tasking, creative problem-solving, self-driven and autonomous goal-setting and execution).
Salary range: Rs. 90,000-110,000 depending on qualifications. (This role can also lead to future full-time positions at LUMS in the 110,000-150,000 range.)
(Optional criteria – that are not required for the application but can set you apart from other candidates – are given in brackets)
- Bachelor's degree.
- (Would be a plus if candidates have a Masters degree.)
- (Would be a plus if candidates have experience studying abroad from a recognized foreign university for their bachelors or masters degree.)
- 2-5 years of work experience.
- (Would be a plus if candidates have experience of working in a higher education context.)
(Would be plus if candidates have background in a relevant field, e.g. educational studies, psychology, public policy, etc.)
Skills and Attributes:
- Commitment to supporting diverse populations
- Leadership, autonomous functioning, goal-setting.
- Ability to interact with stakeholders at multiple levels, both internally and externally.
- Willingness to learn and grow (both through self-learning and through feedback).
- Strong research skills.
- Excellent communication, presentation & writing skills.
- Creative problem-solving and initiative-taking qualities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Good administrative skills.
- A ‘can-do’ attitude and ability to work both autonomously and in a team.
- Attention to detail with a commitment to excellence and world-class, high-quality work.
- (Would be plus if candidates have familiarity with program-design and program-evaluation tools.)
- (Would be plus if candidates have proficiency in statistical analysis)
Work hours may extend into the evenings and weekends to accommodate deadlines or events. During the Covid-19 situation, you may be allowed to work from home, which will require you to create a suitable work environment for yourself (internet connectivity, an environment that supports your productivity at home per your own preferences and working style, setting your own work-hours, etc.)
To apply, please send the following four materials in a single email, as attachments: 1) CV or resume; 2) undergraduate and graduate* transcripts (unofficial copies are fine); 2) writing sample; and 4) a cover letter (which explains your interest in and suitability for the role). The email address for sending these materials is listed below.
Important notes: Please mention "Project Lead & Research Associate" in the email subject for your application to be considered. You must send all transcripts listed for the programs listed on your resume (undergraduate and graduate, if applicable). Finally, please note that incomplete applications may not be considered so please included all four materials listed above as attachments in your email.
Note: “We are an equal employment opportunity employer”