LUMS High Performance Computing (HPC) Lab, in the department of Computer Science, has open positions for research associates / assistants. The ideal candidate should have enthusiasm for solving hard problems and a systematic work style. The current positions involve working on distributed memory message passing systems and developing parallel algorithms for large scale applications. The successful candidates will get hands-on experience on the LUMS state-of-the-art 480 cores HPC cluster.
Recent years have seen a sharp rise in the demand for computational resources. There are many diverse areas, including social network computations, machine learning, data mining, bioinformatics, network security and graph computations that require computational power far greater than what a single processor can provide. While there have been rapid advances in the computer hardware, research and development is needed on the software front to exploit these new hardware models. The HPC lab’s focus is on developing software and tools that improve the performance, scalability and programmability of parallel computing systems and applications.
The candidate should have the following qualifications:
1. A Master’s degree in Computer Science (a strong B.Sc. degree may also be considered for the Research Assistant position.
2. Strong academic background with interest in developing parallel algorithms and distributed middleware design.
3. Strong coding skills and proficiency in C language.
4. Knowledge of working in the Linux environment (e.g., bash scripting, software configuration, network tools, makefiles etc.)
5. Past coding experience and research publications in parallel programming languages will be a plus.
6. Excellent writing and communication skills.
How to Apply:
Email the following information to:
Dr. Humaira Kamal: firstname.lastname@example.org ( https://lums.edu.pk/lums_employee/506 )
Note: All of the following documents should be emailed as a single pdf file (do not email separate files
1. Cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position and your career goals.
2. B.Sc. and M.Sc. transcripts.
4. Detailed description of the projects done in the past.
5. Names of three referees, along with their affiliation, email addresses and telephone numbers.
Also mention how long you have known these referees and in what capacity you have worked with them.
LUMS is an equal opportunity employer and offers competitive salaries and a conducive research environment. This is a one year, full time contractual position, which may be extended based on the candidate’s performance. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Note: “We are an equal employment opportunity employer”