The International Growth Centre (IGC) aims to promote sustainable growth in developing countries by providing demand-led policy advice based on frontier research. It directs a global network of world-leading researchers and in-country teams in Africa and South Asia and works closely with partner governments to generate high-quality research and policy advice on key growth challenges. Based at LSE and in partnership with the University of Oxford, the IGC is majority funded by the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO). IGC Pakistan provides high-quality, independent and demand-led research to support growth policy in Pakistan. Current priority areas include macroeconomic management, state capabilities, firm capabilities, urbanization, and energy.
The aim of this project is to support the Federal Board of Revenue’s (FBR) efforts to broaden and deepen the tax base. This will be achieved by working with FBR to develop plans for interventions with taxpayers and then evaluating their success. The partnership will bring together the planning and thinking FBR is already doing under the guidance of Special Assistant to the Prime Minister on broadening and deepening the tax base with the analytical expertise of academic researchers from Columbia University and LUMS. Members of the team have been working on this topic in Pakistan since 2013, and bring to bear a range of international policy experiences and academic insights.
The Research Associate will be responsible for the following main tasks:
- Conduct data analysis.
- Understand and document the existing data structure and collection mechanism used by the FBR.
- Assist the research team in providing overall strategic direction to the project.
- Assist the research team to build relationships and coordinate with project stakeholders including the funders, departments in the Government, multilateral organizations, as well as partners in the private and non-profit sectors.
- Oversee the designing, pilot testing, and conducting any administrative data collection exercise or survey based on discussions with the research team.
- Coordinate with government partners to obtain administrative data and troubleshoot data related issues.
- Develop and implement data sharing protocols with government partners.
- Supervise the monitoring and cleaning of survey data and administrative data provided by government partners for accuracy, completeness and quality.
- Establish quality assurance mechanisms for resolving problems and issues in the data.
- Provide periodic project updates to the research team or government departments.
- Handle administrative work including reporting, budgeting and tracking of financials and project activities.
- Assist the research team in developing project deliverables and knowledge products
- Carry out other duties as per the needs of the project.
- Undergraduate or Master's degree in Data Science, Computer Science, Economics, Public Policy, or a related disciplineUndergraduate or Master's degree in Economics, Public Policy, or a related discipline.
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience in research/program design and/or evaluation, including the design and execution of surveys, focus groups, and interviews
- Demonstrated knowledge of data management of large datasets as well as data collection, quality checks of data, and presentation of data
- Demonstrated working knowledge of Python, R, or Stata and willingness and ability to learn more at a fast pace
- Proven ability to manage a team
- Proven ability to manage fieldwork related to the project
- Demonstrated ability to manage various tasks effectively and coordinate between project members
- Comfortable with communicating with key stakeholders in the public and private sectors.
- Willingness to take on added responsibility as the project progresses.
- Fluent in English and Urdu
How to apply
Interested candidates should send their cover letter, CV, and transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title “Research Associate”.
- Location: Islamabad, with possibility of travelling to Lahore for meetings with the researchers of the project
- Start date: As soon as possible
- Minimum commitment: 7 months
- Project: Broadening and Deepening Pakistan’s Tax Base
Note: “We are an equal employment opportunity employer”