This project aims to disentangle the factors responsible for inequity and underutilization of property taxation in Lahore and understand the political and economic barriers to introducing an equitable property tax code. A survey experiment will be used to elicit taxpayer policy preferences and establish their relationship with various mechanisms like preferences for fairness and trust in government. Since support from lawmakers and bureaucrats is critical for any policy reform, the political feasibility of sanctioning a property tax policy that incorporates these preferences will also be determined.
The project is led by researchers from Columbia University, the London School of Economics, the International Monetary Fund, the Institute of Development Studies at Sussex and LUMS. This is an excellent opportunity to get involved in first-hand field research, and interact with academics and policymakers, and is particularly suited for those interested in continuing further studies in economics, political science, or public policy.
Job Description and Requirements
The Intern will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Coordinate field activities.
- Clean primary and secondary data.
- Collect and analyze information from a variety of primary and secondary sources and synthesize research material.
- Develop and implement data-sharing protocols with the field team.
- Carry out other duties as per the needs of the project.
Bachelor's degree (or currently enrolled) in Economics, Political Science, Public Policy, or any related discipline from a reputed university.
Relevant prior research experience is preferred but not required.
Knowledge and Skills
- Willingness to do fieldwork and travel as required.
- Working knowledge of Stata/R/Python.
- Some experience in cleaning and handling large datasets.
- Strong interpersonal skills, organizational skills, and attention to detail required.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, demonstrating initiative and reliability.
- Willingness and ability to learn at a fast pace.
- Fluent in both English and Urdu.
- Ideally should know how to multitask and prioritize deadlines.
Note: Please email your CV & undergraduate transcript to the mentioned email address with the subject line: “Property Taxation - Internship Applicant”.