The selected candidate will work as a lead engineer for designing, developing, and optimizing a mobile robotic platform for precision agriculture applications. This work will involve integrating various technologies such as mechanical design, robotics and automation, sensors, and AI to create a versatile and reliable agricultural robot. As a team lead, the selected candidate will be responsible for problem analysis, solution research, hardware design & architecture, development, deployment and testing.
- System Design: Develop a comprehensive understanding of precision agriculture requirements and design a mobile robotic platform.
- Mechanical Design: Oversee the design and selection of mechanical components, including chassis, wheels, actuators, and manipulators, to ensure robustness and efficiency.
- Sensors and Perception: Integrate advanced sensor systems (e.g., IMU, LiDAR, cameras, GPS) for environment perception, obstacle detection, and navigation using Robot Operating System (ROS) as the middleware.
- Control Systems: Design and optimize control algorithms for autonomous navigation, path planning, and precision operations in agricultural environments.
- Software Development: Develop and maintain software for real-time control, data analysis, and remote monitoring of the robotic platform.
- Testing and Validation: Conduct rigorous testing and validation procedures, both in lab environments and in the field, to ensure the reliability and performance of the robotic platform.
- Documentation: Maintain detailed documentation of design specifications, development processes, and test results.
- Collaboration: Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including agronomists and data scientists, to ensure the robot meets the specific needs of precision agriculture.
- BS or MS degree in Mechatronics, Electrical, or Mechanical Engineering from a HEC recognized institution.
- At least 2 years of proven experience in mechatronic system design and development, preferably in robotics.
- Should have a good command on Robot Operating System (ROS).
- Practical/internship experience in software development.
Skills and Attributes
- Strong knowledge of robot mechanical design and control systems.
- Proficiency in programming languages such as C/C++, Python, and ROS (Robot Operating System).
- Experience with autonomous navigation and control algorithms.
- Having sound knowledge and experience of microcontroller programming.
- Familiarity with agricultural equipment and practices is a plus.
Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to work in a dynamic, collaborative environment.
- Strong communication and project management skills.
Prior field experience would also be preferred.
This position requires travelling often.